Infection control and “universal precautions” protect all of us. Everyone benefits from rigorous infection control — you, your dentist, and the dental team. The cornerstone in a good and safe dental practice is the element of trust. You should feel free to discuss this topic with Dr. Wilburn if you have any concerns or questions.
Dr. Wilburn and our entire team follow procedures recommended by several federal and state agencies: the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the California Dental Board. These measures include:
- Disinfectant hand soap and disinfectant hand rubs
- Gloves, face masks, and protective coats and eye-wear
- Chemical disinfection of countertops and surfaces
- Sterilization of all re-useable equipment before every patient-use
- Disposal of non-re-useable materials and instruments after use
We use an autoclave, (a device that kills bacteria and viruses by steam, heat and pressure), to sterilize all reusable equipment, including dental hand pieces (drills). This autoclave is constantly monitored by an outside-office source to assure that it is functioning properly.
The best defense against disease is information. The more you know, the more comfortable you will feel and the better equipped you are to make wise decisions about your health care. We are happy to answer questions at any time.